My blog is inspired by conversations, debates, and experiences involving sports with friends and family. Please feel free to comment, to disagree, or to share your own ideas or experiences.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Blogger's Block

A little less than a year ago, I began this little sports blog.  I did it because I love sports.  I did it because I love writing.  I did it because I loved the interaction with those who chose to read.  I committed in my head to post as close to weekly as possible.  But for the last 4 months, "The B League" has been dormant, and there is only one source of blame:  the 2011 Minnesota Vikings.

The 2010 Vikings inspired my first blog, as I tried to figure out if I was morphing from a Bills fan to a Vikings fan.  The 2011 Vikings made it abundantly clear that I would sooner morph into a Power Ranger.  The 2011 Vikings wasted so much ink and cyberspace for things so distant from the football field, that it became comical.  It was as though someone early on knew that they would stink, so they scripted each week to make sure they could still maintain fan interest.  Brett Favre's personal life, Randy Moss comes, Randy Moss goes, Favre's injuries, Favre's streak, Favre's Wranglers.  And then the roof collapsed.  We couldn't look away.  Lloyd Christmas sums up the 2011 Vikings season best,

All of this made it impossible for me to blog about them.  Everyone had written it already.  It had far too little to do with sports.  The 2011 Vikings were unwatchable, but I couldn't stop watching them.  And after each game, I had nothing to say.

And all of this is why I find myself strangely drawn to this year's Super Bowl matchup.  As the clock wound down in the AFC Championship game, I rolled my eyes and thought, "Great, a whole week about hearing the word 'organization'". 
"What a great job by the Packers' organization." 
"You have to credit the whole Steelers' organization."

 I rolled my eyes because I usually find this kind of talk nauseating.  It usually seems like an attempt to mystify sports; as though championships had less to do with players' performance than a team's mystique; as though Vince Lombardi has anything to do with the 2011 Packers, or Chuck Noll has anything to do with the 2011 Steelers.  But I can't roll my eyes anymore, because in the 2011 Vikings I witnessed the opposite of an organization.  What a great job by the Vikings' disorganization.  You have to credit the whole Vikings' disorganization.  They could use a little mystique right now.

I have every reason to despise next week's Super Bowl matchup.  Both teams fit many prerequisites of teams I would normally root against. 

1.  A history of championships.  When my team is eliminated from contention, I usually find myself rooting for a team to break out of their championship drought, like last year's Saints.  The Packers and Steelers have both won multiple Super Bowls.

2.  A rivalry with a team I like.  I am a Bills fan, but I have spent the past 10.5 years in Minneapolis and Chicago.  Though I can't decided who I prefer between the Vikings and Bears, I have been well-conditioned to dislike the Packers.


3.  Unlikable players.  It is really hard to root for Ben Roethlisberger.  Enough said.

But this is where the organization becomes these teams saving grace.  Let's look at that list again.

1.  A history of championships.  It's hard to begrudge a team for winning consistently.  When I think  about it, I prefer champions with some history, longevity and continuity.  I like to see new teams win now and then, but then I want to see them prove they are not a flash in the pan.  The Packers and Steelers are consistently contenders, not just year after year, but generation after generation.


2.  A rivalry with a team a like.   Sometimes you need reminders of what a real football team looks like.  A team with a quarterback who's earns his spot through his play not his name.  A team that doesn't use injuries as excuses.  A team that plays outdoors despite being further north than Minnesota.  The Packers, frankly, are everything the Vikings should hope to be.

3.  Unlikable players.  They're on every team, but some organizations, like the Steelers, rise above it.  They apologize, they are swift with punishment, and the team manages to remain the headline.  Others deny and deflect, and enable a formerly likable player to continue to pretend that he is still likable.

A few other reasons why I am strangely drawn to next week's game.
1.  Both teams pass the name test. http://bleaguehak.blogspot.com/2010/07/whats-in-name.html
2.  Both teams pass the uniform test.  This is a blog that is still to come, but both teams have awesome uniforms.
3.  Unbelievable fan bases.  Maybe irritatingly so, but give credit where credit is due.
4.  Evenly matched game.  The teams are not flawless, but they both have great coaching, great defenses and great quarterbacks.
5.  Either my dear nephew (Packers) or one of my dear friends (Steelers) will be delighted with the outcome.  


Who will I be cheering for?
The Packers.  Simply for the fact that it's been longer since they've won the game.  I don't feel that strongly about it.

Who do I think will win?
The Steelers.  Because I believe they are not only the greatest organization in football, but also in sports.  And in spite of my nausea and rolling eyes, I'm starting to think that it really matters.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That’s a bold statement. Can you quantify and rank the greatest organization in sports?

Okay, I'll try...

((championships in the last 15 years) + (all older championships / 2)) * ((all-time winning percentage * 0.4) + (winning percentage in the last 15 years * 0.6)) X (0.8 if you have one of the top five payrolls in baseball)

Steelers: (2 + (4/2)) * ((.516 * 0.4) X (.621 * 0.6)) = 3.08

I’ll have to apply this formula to the Lakers, Yankees, Red Wings, Cowboys, Celtics to see if you’re right, but not tonight.

Mark H said...

Tim, the great thing about blogs is you don't have to back up your bold statements. But I think I would stand by this. Not only from a numbers standpoint (most Super Bowl victories, most wins, most all-pros, etc.), but their sustained success, their stability (three coaches in the "modern era", all with Super Bowl wins to their credit). Your list is good, and maybe their is some apples and oranges here, but I'll stick with it.

Uncle Bryan said...

Can't you blame the Minnesota Timberwolves for your dearth in posts too? Have you been to like 15 games by now?

What about your manLove for Kevin?

nhl jerseys from china said...

In case confuses are creatures, plus beings are cheap nhl jerseys clouds, are we not all well recommended that will drift, to be able to really feel the actual nhl jerseys from china the wind tucking people within these along with plucking us all available? Will be we this sort of rock-hard real lumps as many of us think about? Float, okay.